Windows 98 machine refuses to connect to Windows 10 computer

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Windows 98 machine refuses to connect to Windows 10 computer

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

So I have a file share on my Windows 10 computer I want to access with my Windows 98 machine. It refuses to connect to the server but the Windows 10 computer can access the Windows 98 computer just fine. I have no idea why it won’t connect.

Windows versions being used:

4.10.2222A
Last edited by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

zde

Re: Windows 98 machine refuses to connect to Windows 10 comp

Post by zde »

Have you actually enabled SMBv1 for Windows98 to be able to connect?

It should work in such a case...

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Yes, I have done that. I’ve also done the LM and NTLM request thing, still refuses to connect.
DV

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Digger

Post by Digger »

Would setting up a FTP client / server be an option for the shared folders?

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

I don’t have a server, much less an FTP one. I don’t think that’s an option.
DV

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

Any PC can be used as a server. For the use case stated in the initial post, you probably don't need server-grade hardware.

Hyoenmadan86

Post by Hyoenmadan86 »

From https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... networking
The Remote Administration Protocol[MS-RAP] is an administrative protocol whose function has largely been replaced by newer protocols. In the File Access Services System, [MS-RAP] is used as a discovery protocol. All Microsoft Windows® clients can discover servers by using [MS-RAP] to retrieve a list of servers from the Browser Service[MS-BRWS]. [MS-RAP] also supports certain client and server administration methods, such as SMB file share enumeration, but this functionality has been superseded by [MS-WKST] and [MS-SRVS].
Beginning with Windows® 7 operating system, [MS-RAP] is no longer enabled for these methods. Moreover, although [MS-RAP] could potentially have been used by the File Access Services System for the administration of File Clients, it was never used for this purpose.
In a few words... An important protocol required by the implementation of SMB for DOS/WFW311/Win95/Win98/WinME and old NT3/4 clients was removed from the SMBv1 server implementation bundled with Win7 and onwards. That means these clients can't enumerate anymore shares on win7+ machines. Check you still can connect them by referring their full names directly from the NET USE command, and/or windows explorer (in the form \\server\share), proving you have correctly configured your now optional SMBv1 support.

For Win98/ME and NT4 there is a workaround installing some "active directory" update, and forcing the updated SMB client to use MS-RPC protocol instead the older MS-RAP for share enumeration, via registry. Then you can see the shares on win7+ computers... Unfortunately older nt3, win95, wfw311 and dos clients are out.

This information is getting lost, so backup the notes to reference them in the future.

zde

Post by zde »

Can we add this to Wiki somehow? Currently Wiki basically includes information which people may want to know if they want to read about something. Not when they want to experriment with old betas and abandonware.

Practical information is just... not there. Would probably need some kind of separate-style articles, but would be nice to have.

Things like: MS-DOS 3.2 couldn't handle disks with more than 16 heads while DR-DOS 6.0 doesn't work with partition which ancludes 1024th cylinder... these things would be nice to know from Wiki, not from experiements.

Just not sure where and how to put such info...

Winins

Post by Winins »

Just sign up to the wiki...
You have never seen Windows like this!
FREE Windows 3.2!
Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

xyz

Post by xyz »

You need more than just enabling SMBv1 (which is now an optional feature in the windows apps & features)
In gpedit.msc navigate to:
computer config>windows config>security settings>locale policies>security options and search for "network security: do not save LAN manager hashes..." and set it to disabled
second option "network security: lan manager authentification level" must be set to "send lm- and ntlm answers"
now create a new local profile via lusrmgr.msc or modernui settings panel and give it a password like 123456..
share your folder for this user with the network and win98 should be able to access it by simply mapping a network drive using the user you just created.

maybe someone with an english windows version can share a better screenshot than mine, which is german

nobleEightfold

Post by nobleEightfold »

I didn't realize SMBv1 was disabled in Windows 10 by default until recently. I'll have to try setting it up to make file sharing easier to my Win9x machines.

Since I couldn't get sharing to work, I tried using my own FTP server instead to transfer files to my Win9x machines, and it has worked really well. If you're interested in setting up an FTP server on your Windows 10 machine, I've had a lot of success with using FileZilla. You don't need special hardware or anything like that. I literally just use it to copy files from my Windows 10 machine to my Win9x machines. There are probably lots of other options out there, too. Then put an old FTP client on your Windows 98 machine - I use Core FTP lite - to connect to your locally running server.

umount

Post by umount »

The Idea with the FTP Server is also a good Idea.

I use a HTTP-Server to Copy Files to my Windows 98 Machine.

I use Xampp for Windows as Webserver.

(Moderator note: This post was approved despite being slightly over the 90 days mark)