Interesting strings found in Mallard theme

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Neptruo314

Interesting strings found in Mallard theme

Post by Neptruo314 »

Recently, I was wanting to extract the bitmaps of the Sample Test Visual Style (Mallard) for a project of mine.
But, I noticed some odd strings. Here they are:

Code: Select all

2000 Hang Loose
2001 Did you ever wonder who you'd bring to a desert island?
6001 Personal Visual Style
It seems that there could've been another colour scheme(?), called Hang Loose, though it sounds like an odd name for a theme in my opinion. It also seems that Mallard was supposed to be for the personal/home edition SKU (In early builds, watercolour was called business and professional, strengthening this theory.), even though it was a decoy theme.
Though I have no idea what the second line would be used for.

For the Hang Loose line, it may be connected to this, though it might not be.

Image Media Center for Windows XP requires you to purchase MCE edition. Or alternatively just get an unofficial hybrid of Pro and MCE.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: Interesting strings found in Mallard theme

Post by AlphaBeta »

Neptruo314 wrote:It seems that there could've been another colour scheme(?), called Hang Loose, though it sounds like an odd name for a theme in my opinion.
They are just descriptions of the two color schemes, as you can see in themes.ini:

Code: Select all

[ColorScheme.Default]
DisplayName = Chartreuse Mongoose
ToolTip = Hang Loose

[ColorScheme.Paler]
DisplayName = Blue Lagoon
ToolTip = Did you ever wonder who you'd bring to a desert island?
Neptruo314 wrote:It also seems that Mallard was supposed to be for the personal/home edition SKU (In early builds, watercolour was called business and professional, strengthening this theory.), even though it was a decoy theme.
This is nothing new, I already made a post about this back in February, together with a wiki article. This theory is further supported by the Whistler roadmap from February 2000, which mentions that a skin set was planned to be finished by the end of April 2000:
Neptruo314 wrote:For the Hang Loose line, it may be connected to this, though it might not be.

These are the resources for the window caption. From left to right, they are active, inactive, and disabled states. 2419 seems to use inactive captions for both inactive and disabled states, while 2410 still dutifully tries to distinguish the two. Not sure about 2416.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: Interesting strings found in Mallard theme

Post by yourepicfailure »

2416 still distinguishes, last build so far that does.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!